Thursday 16 February 2012

Brioche French Toast Marmalade Sandwich

It's been a long time since I've posted a recipe on the blog. That's not a surprise, as I'm not exactly a wizard in the kitchen. However, from time to time, I get a little inspiration. In this instance, from a brioche and marmalade dessert that rounded off a rather splendid meal at The Ten Bells (I have to say The Young Turks are pretty damn good).


Now I'm not saying that my creation is better than The Young Turks' efforts, but it's certainly more sinful! After all, there are few things that aren't improved by dipping in egg and frying in oil. So without further ado, I present my brioche French toast marmalade sandwich – ideal for brunch or dessert.

Ingredients (makes 2 sandwiches)
4 slices of brioche
2 eggs
Marmalade
Vegetable oil (for frying)


Spread some marmalade on the sliced brioche (I cheated big time and used a sliced brioche loaf from M&S) and make two sandwiches.


Dip the sandwiches in the beaten eggs. Allow the sandwich to soak up the egg.


Shallow-fry the sandwiches over medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Drain on kitchen paper before serving.


You don't have to cut it in half, but I just wanted to show off the oozy warmed-up marmalade filling.

Serving Suggestions
If you want to go all trendy (or impress a boy/girl) then you can sprinkle some icing sugar on top, and serve with some fruit; mandarin segments and berries would go well on the side. However, if you want go the full Homer Simpson then serve with butter (for brunch) or a scoop of ice cream (for dessert).

I don't want to blow my own trumpet but I'm pretty chuffed with this dish. Who knows? Perhaps I'll get round to posting some more recipes!

10 comments:

  1. Goshdarn that looks good. And I can try it with my favourite jams... oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally eat this with a HK style milk tea! yummmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant. My husband is obsessed with HK French toast. We had it in a little cafe in Chinatown on the weekend, but maybe we'll try to make it at home.

    BTW, I think it is completely wrong to try to fancy it up with fruit or ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kavey - excellent idea on using different jams for different fillings. However, I think marmalade is the daddy.

    3HT/Food Urchin - absolutely!

    Tang/Lorraine - this was definitely inspired by HK cha chaan teng French toast. And Lorraine, point taken on the blinging up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need this for brekkie tomo. Do you do deliveries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HK or Melbourne? Could end up being the most expensive French toast ever!

      Delete
  6. MmMmmmm.... love love love French Toastssssss... Haven't had one in ages... I shall do a fail diet this week and get some in a cafe :P Not going to buy a whole loaf and force myself to over eat the carbs :)

    ReplyDelete