Wednesday 22 December 2010

Merry Christmas (& See You in 2011)


Merry Christmas! I hope you all have a great time over the festive period.

Christmas is very much a time to catch up with friends and family. The weather's been horrid but I'm one of those who consider going to parties around Christmas as essential travel. None more so then a shindig around El Greco and the Mysterious Mrs A's new house.

As is customary, Secret Santa paid a visit and amongst my gifts was a present of Pot Noodle. I've not eaten Pot Noodle in nearly twenty years, and the only previous occasion was when I was given a free sample in a 'survival package' that was presented to me at University by the Student Union. I'm not proud and I know I didn't have to eat it but we all experiment and do stupid things we regret when we're students.


Whilst I can't say I'm a fan of this British noodle institution, I felt I had to do the honours and do a review. After all, a great deal of thought had gone into the choice of flavour, as I was presented with 'Sticky Rib' flavour, which also came with a sachet of Peking sauce.

I duly followed the instructions and filled the pot up to the dotted line with boiling water, carefully removing the sachet of Peking sauce first, and waited. With hindsight, I should have eaten these when drunk or hungover. Being stone cold sober isn't the way to tackle these noodles.

I finished them off though, and whilst I can't recommend Pot Noodle, it is and has been a gateway noodle for generations of Britons. And for that I am thankful, although the real Cup Noodles are far tastier.

That's it for me in 2010, I've had a great year blogging and I hope to have better times in 2011. See you all in the New Year!

10 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you too and looking forward to 2011! Incidentally, just been told that today is winter festival..so tong yuen day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lolol Santa obviously knows your alter-ego!
    I always find replicated chinese flavours a bit of a hit-and-miss. ie Chow-mein flavour or sweet and sour SupaNoodles (I dunno why I bought them!)
    But Xtreme flavour pringles in smokin' ribs is nice!
    Merry Christmas & Happy Festive Eating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a well deserved break and see you next year! Looking forward to 2011's dispatches from the noodley front line ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the font on that Pot Noodles container. So authentically Chinese looking, isn't it? lol.

    Have a great holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a good Xmas and a very drunken new year ..... Hasta 2011 .......
    Pot Noodles are only best tackled when shit faced ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kay - thanks! I have very little clue on the Chinese calendar but anything celebration involving tong yuen sounds good to me!!

    PlumLeaf - I've not had Super Noodles in years! Sweet and sour sounds truly awful!!

    GWorm - see you in 2011, hopefully over a bowl of noodles, although not perhaps Pot Noodle.

    A-in-L - those Pot Noodle boys go the extra mile with their design concepts!

    Mzungu - with hindsight, I should've rustled up the Pot Noodle at my mate's house but for the fact that we were well stuffed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fancy bumping into you today! Hope you have a fabulous 2011 and here's to more happy eating and pot noodles! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catty - 'twas weird bumping into you and Panu today! You can see what I did with my noodles in my latest post!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are my favourite instant: http://www.waroengsipiet.nl/product_info.php/products_id/2216 and these http://www.ettason.com/products_details.asp?id=3528 yummo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mixedlollies - welcome! Always good to know what my fellow noodleheads have got their chopsticks tucked into.

    ReplyDelete